Apprentice Field Guide (NQF 2) Course
The Apprentice Field Guide (NQF 2) Qualification is the most sought after qualification required by the guiding industry for employment. The FGASA Apprentice Field Guide (NQF 2) Course also contains the CATHSSETA Nature Site Guide qualification, which is the minimum requirement for guides to register as legal tourist guides in South Africa.
Beyond Southern Africa's borders, the higher standard of the FGASA qualification also enjoys recognition in many other countries on and off the African Continent. While we recommend the longer 1 year or 3 year courses for school leavers, the 10 week course is ideal for older students that have already got some relevant life and work experience.
The course is also ideal for Nature Conservation, Reserve Management , Zoology or Tourism Graduates that want to increase their employability.
Bhejane now also offer a new Combined Marine and Nature Guiding Course during which both the Apprentice Field Guide (NQF 2) and Marine Level 1 qualifications are trained. Please contact us to request the full course brochure.
If you are not a Water Baby, you can also choose to do the Apprentice Field Guide and Trails Guide combination course (18 Weeks). This is shorter than the the full 1 Year programmes but still gives you the extra skills and training to increase your employability and ensure a good level of competence.
- Full Time Apprentice Field Guide Course – 10 Weeks
- Part Time Apprentice Field Guide Course – Self paced theory done from home, followed by 5 Week Practical.
Course Fees 2021/2022
- 10 Week Apprentice Field Guide - R70 000
- 12 Week Combined Nature / Marine Guide R85 000
- 18 Week Combined Nature / Apprentice Trials R115 000
Course dates: (10 Week Apprentice Field Guide Course)
- 3 May – 9 July 2021
- 27 Sept – 3 Dec 2021
- 31 Jan – 1 April 2022
- 2 May – 8 July 2022
- 26 Sept – 2 Dec 2022
- Starting dates same as above, add 2 weeks to end date.
- Starting Dates the same, please enquire to confirm end dates, as the breaks between modules have small differences depending on the time of year. Plan for an end date of between 18 – 20 week from your course start date.
Included in the Course Fee
- Meals and Accommodation
- FGASA training and assessment
- First aid Training
- Course Manuals
Excluded in the Course Fee
- Meals on weekends and off days
- Personal equipment (Binoculars etc)
- Field Reference and Prescribed Books
Subject to successful completion of all modules.
- Bhejane Level 1 Nature Guide
- FGASA Apprentice Field Guide
- Wilderness First Aid Level 1
- Minimum age of 18
- Good level of personal and mental fitness
- Must be fluent in English
- Driver's licence recommended