Level 1 Marine and Coastal Guiding Course
What do you really know about barnacles and crayfish? Have you ever heard of zoanthids and do you know what cone shells eat? What uses do algae have and how are mangroves adapted to deal with their salty environments? Can you identify the relevant species of shark by looking at a beached tooth alone, or the type of whale by the type of blow it makes when exhaling? A Bhejane Marine Guide should be able to tell you all of these things.
The Marine and Coastal Guiding qualification offers prospective guides the opportunity to learn more about guiding in the diverse marine and coastal environments of Maputaland’s Marine Reserves.
The coastline of the iSimangaliso Wetlands Park is the practical venue for this course, and offers an absolutely breathtaking diversity of habitats for students to learn about. Practical training includes snorkelling, kayaking, diving, rocky shore, sandy shore and dune interpretation as well as guiding in the coastal forests of northern KwaZulu Natal. Bhejane Marine guides have amazing opportunties to work at Beach Lodges and Reserves along South Africia, Mozambique and Madagascar. We have developed a close association with reputable PADI Dive Training Centre, Coral Divers in Sodwana Bay, as well as the conservation organization Sharklife SA. Students have the opportunity to complete a Sharklife SA Shark Diving/Guiding Programme while doing their Marine Guiding Qualifications at Bhejane.
Bhejane now also offer a new Combined Marine and Nature Guiding Course during which both the Nature Guide Level 1 and Marine Level 1 qualifications are trained. Contact us for more information about this course
- 6 Weeks
Course Fees 2019
- R45 000
- 22 April - 31 May 2019
- 12 August - 20 September 2019
- 4 November - 13 December 2019
Included in the Course Fee
- Meals and Accommodation
- FGASA and PADI registration and assessment
- Dive Gear
- Course Manuals
Excluded in the Course Fee
- Meals on weekends and off days
- Equipment such as binoculars, masks and snorkels, fins etc.
- Prescribed Books
Subject to successful completion of all assessments.
- Bhejane Marine and Coastal Guiding
- FGASA Level 1 Marine Guide
- Wilderness Marine First Aid
- PADI Open or Advanced Open Water
- Boat Based Whale watching Permit (elective)
- Sharklife SA Shark Dive Guiding Certificate (Optional Extra, requires additional course time)
- Minimum age of 18
- An ecceptable level of English Literacy
- Must be able to swim 100m unaided
- Must have a FGASA Level 1 to register for the 7 week course.
- Acceptable level of mental and physical fitness