Advanced Nature Guiding and Wildlife Conservation Course
While there are various conservation and tourism diploma courses available, there is no comprehensive diploma course available for students that are serious about a career as a professional nature guide. Many guides complete short courses,only to spend two fleeting years in an industry for which they are not adequately prepared in order to sufficiently grow and promote themselves. In addition, school leavers may find that after completing a shorter course, they are not yet able to start working as they have to wait to turn 21 to register as a guide. By completing this 3 year programme, you are guaranteed to enter the job market as an exceptionally qualified guide with current and relevant experience and a level of competence that far exceeds that of other entry level guides.
The programme provides the more practical, yet serious career student with a well structured academic and practical programme, that includes the full range of knowledge and skills required by guides to succeed in the dynamic wildlife tourism and conservation industries.
The Bhejane Nature Guiding and Wildlife Conservation 3 Year programme, is the only one of its kind in the industry, and has been developed to most accurately meet the demands of the Wildlife Tourism Industry for the employment of Professional Guides, Conservation Research and Field Assistants, and conservation entrepreneurs.
This unique programme ensures a qualification that will adequately prepare the student for a career in Guiding and Conservation with a focus on developing the knowledge and skills needed to be a versatile and knowledgeable guide, that can fill responsible positions above those of entry level guides. It is also the only programme of its kind that prepares the student to work in both terrestrial and marine ecosystems.
3 Years (2 Years Theory and Practical Training & 1 Year industry placement)
Course Fees 2022
- Year 1 = R 198 000
- Year 2 = R 160 000
- Year 3 = R 14 000
Please note that International Students pay an additional levy of 5% on the course fee for each year.
Courses start in the last week of January each year.
Included in the Course Fee
- Meals and Accommodation
- Professional Body registrations and membership
- Dive Gear, Rifle Hire and Ammunition
- Course Manuals
Excluded in the Course Fee
- Meals on off days and weekends
- Personal Equipment (Binoculars etc)
- Field reference Books
Subject to successful completion of all modules and chosen electives.
- Bhejane Nature Guiding and Wildlife Conservation Certificate
- Wilderness and Marine First Aid and Fire Fighting Level 1 - 3
- Level 1 Nature Guide
- PADI Open Water, Advanced and Rescue Diver (Elective)
- Level 1 Marine and Coastal Guide
- PFTC Rifle Handling
- Advanced Rifle Handling
- Snorkeling Specialist Qualification (Elective)
- Birding Specialist (Elective)
- Boat Based Whale Watching Permit (Elective)
- Back-up Trails Guiding
- Skipper's Licence (Elective)
- Matric or Equivalent Qualification
- Study Visa (if international)
- Good level of mental and physical fitness
- Minimum age of 18
- Driver’s Licence
- Must be able to swim 100m unaided.
- Acceptance may be subject to an admission interview